Bangkok, 8th – 10th November 2016
APCASO and GCTA are extremely proud and deeply honoured to announce the launch of ACT Asia-Pacific!, a regional coalition of individuals and community and civil society groups working for effective, people-centred, rights-based, and sufficiently and strategically resourced TB responses.
ACT Asia-Pacific! the region’s first TB activists’ coalition, emerged from a GCTA and APCASO-led regional TB activists’ convening held last week in Bangkok, Thailand. The meeting was made possible with funding support from the Global Fund External Relations Division and GCTA via Global Fund’s Community Rights and Gender Special Initiative (CRG SI). APCASO was able to support the initiative through core funding from the Open Society Foundations (OSF) and APCRG Platform funding from CRG SI.
APCASO and GCTA, with partners in the region have identified the need for such a platform for a long time now, and while acknowledging that TB problems will not be suddenly resolved, it is a significant, groundbreaking boost.
ACT Asia-Pacific! is an affiliate of GCTA, with APCASO elected to serve as the coalition’s host. We look forward to productive and impactful work with the new coalition!
ACT Asia-Pacific! commits to work on 5 key theme areas:
- We will ACT to give TB the political attention it deserves.
- We will ACT to present an alternative model to the pervading bio-medical approach to TB.
- We will ACT to overcome barriers to TB treatment and diagnostics access.
- We will ACT towards securing adequate and strategic investments for TB, making sure that these investments go to the right interventions, including by communities.
- We will ACT to support a coordinated and capacitated TB community and activist movement.